Monday, August 22, 2011

On Friendship

I’m still reading “The Four Loves” and have decided to write about it in different posts so as to not bore my readers :)  But there is just so much that I love, especially in the friendships chapter!

“In each of my friends there is something that only some other friend can fully bring out.  By myself I am not large enough to call the whole man into activity; I want other lights than my own to show all his facets.”

“In this, Friendship exhibits a glorious ‘nearness by resemblance’ to Heaven itself where the very multitude of the blessed (which no man can number) increases the fruition which each has of God.  For every soul, seeing Him in her own way, doubtless communicates that unique vision to all the rest.”

I love this because I know it to be so true.  I know that I have so enjoyed hanging out with specific groups of friends because we each bring out something in the others that we otherwise wouldn’t know.  There are people that can make me so silly without even trying, others who love to challenge me and we have great conversations, others who make me slow down and rest, and others who help me to dream.  And there are specific things I bring out in others as well.

And even moreso, I know that it is true when I talk to people about the Lord.  I went through a phase (actually I loved it and should start again) when I loved playing the question game.  I asked people all kinds of questions and loved just getting to know them.  But one of my favorites was  “What is your favorite part of the Lord’s character and why?”  I gained so much insight from their answers and really got to know more of the God that I love from seeing how others love and experience Him.

Its just really amazing that God created us to live in fellowship with other people.  Even though our sin nature is selfishness, we are made to be part of a larger family and learn from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment