Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Its really happening!

I should be going to sleep.  But I can’t not write about today.  I’m just so excited that things are really starting to happen.

I had a meeting today with some of the people at IHNFOP, basically social services.  And then really seemed enthusiastic about the project that we are working on.  They shared with us that the two biggest needs for children in La Ceiba are…

1. Childhood malnutrition
2. Teenagers and what to do with them – including children having children/young moms

I was just so excited to be able to tell them that we are going to do what we can to address both of these issues.  Kate will be working to provide food to street children as part of the drop-in center when she gets here.  And I will be working with teenage moms.  They were very encouraged.

The hard part is I want to help all of them.  They told us stories that just broke my heart.  IHNFOP can only provide help to children up to age 18 and you can tell it is just really hard for them when they have teenagers who are doing well, but have to leave their services.  I am really thankful for these women who have worked there over 10 years and you can tell they just really love the kids that they know.

I cannot help all of them, as much as I want to, but I can help four.  And I’m excited to go on Monday and actually meet the first girl who is a candidate for our program.  The social worker is taking me to meet a teenage girl who is pregnant.  I don’t know much about her situation, but I will soon find out.

Please pray for wisdom and discernment.  They shared with me that the need is great and they will introduce me to a lot of girls.  So please pray that I will know how to proceed.  I’m a little overwhelmed that it is really happening, but just so thankful that the Lord walks before me in this process and He already has it all planned out.

2 comments:

  1. my heart is rejoicing with you! I am praying! We miss Honduras and our time we spent there.. we pray for you all often.

    - Jess
    [team colorado: july 22-30]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soo excited for you and the new opportunities! I was wondering if abortion is an issue in Honduras. Is it legal? Is it culturally acceptable? Is it happening?

    ReplyDelete