Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Connections

The Lord keeps allowing me to make more and more connections.  Yesterday I went to a meeting at IHNFA about the condition of children here in the La Ceiba area.  It was sad to hear the statistics of how many children suffer abuse and neglect.  They have recently implemented a foster care system here and have 64 children in homes with only 11 foster moms!  And no foster families that have moms and dads.  The family I went to visit earlier in the week had 10 kids living with a foster mom in a 3 bedroom house.  But they are all clothed and well-fed and being loved.

There were representatives from all different organizations there yesterday, so I got to meet some of them and hear about other things going on in the city.  On top of that, I’m going tomorrow to meet another social worker who works in the hospital with pregnant teenagers, many of them homeless.  I’m so thankful for all the people I’m meeting who are so supportive of what we are starting here.

It made me laugh a little bit that I ran into a lady at the mall today who was in our meeting yesterday.  Things here are built all around friendships and who you know, so it was fun to say hello to her, get her card, and have her offer to help however she can.

In other news… my car is still in the shop 3 weeks after the “driving through water” incident.  I’m getting to know Raul really well and today as we drove around looking for parts he gave me a lesson in how to drive through water.  Don’t worry… I’m  not leaving my house in the rain ever again!  Hopefully the parts I need will be in town tomorrow… so pray that the work goes smoothly so I can get my car back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment