Monday, September 6, 2010

To be dangerous…

My brother Xan posted this quote on his blog recently and I remembered how much I love it…

"We are so utterly ordinary, so commonplace, while we profess to know a Power the Twentieth Century does not reckon with. But we are "harmless," and therefore unharmed. We are spiritual pacifists, non-militants, conscientious objectors in this battle-to-the-death with principalities and powers in high places. Meekness must be had for contact with men, but brass, outspoken boldness is required to take part in the comradeship of the Cross. We are "sideliners" -- coaching and criticizing the real wrestlers while content to sit by and leave the enemies of God unchallenged. The world cannot hate us, we are too much like its own. Oh that God would make us dangerous!"
-Jim Elliot (1948)

I know that I have lived too often on the sidelines, content to live as the world lives falling to its temptations and not looking any different.  God IS worthy of a life set apart from the world where we live in this place and yet totally different than the people around us.  Sometimes I think I forget how important the Lord is and how much He hates sin.  It is tempting to make sin “not a big deal” when it is the biggest deal because it separates us from the Lord and is an insult to His glory.  Oh that God would make me dangerous.  I pray that I would fight for holiness.  And in that, that God would make me radical for the Gospel.  The Gospel brings about change and we must DO something.  I don’t know exactly what that means for me today or exactly what that looks like… but I pray that God will show me.

No comments:

Post a Comment