Thursday, September 2, 2010

Indescribable

It all started when I decided to sing the song, “Indescribable” when I lead worship tomorrow.  Its hard to put that song in a worship set because it so powerful.  We are put in awe of God when are reminded of how huge He really is and you feel like you need to follow it with other songs of the same tone… “How Great Thou Art” for instance.  And yet, I love being reminded that God is not only Indescribable, but also personal.  So… I choose songs to that end and then the Lord brought me to these Scriptures tonight.  And I’m blown away again by how amazing it is that the creator of the universe has chosen to say “I have summoned you by name, Shannon, and you are mine.”  Wow.

Psalm 89:5-8
The heavens praise your wonders, O LORD,
Your faithfulness too in the assembly of the holy ones.
For who, in the skies above, can compare with the Lord?
Who is like the LORD among the heavenly beings?
In the council of the holy ones, God is greatly feared;
He is more awesome than all who surround him.
O LORD God Almighty, who is like you?
You are mighty, O LORD,
And your faithfulness surrounds you.

Isaiah 43:1-3a
But now, this is what the LORD says-
He who created you, O Jacob,
He who formed you, O Israel;
Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you.
And when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior!

Isn’t it all just summarized in that last line?  He is all of those things at the same time.  Both able to sustain the world by His powerful word and yet personal enough to enter into my messy heart and bring redemption.  And I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment