Friday, September 3, 2010

The dreaded gym

One day recently I woke up with a phrase running through my head… “train yourself for godliness”.  Not sure what to do with that, I moved on with my day, but that continuous thought wouldn’t go away.  So I started asking the Lord what He was trying to tell me and what this was supposed to mean for my life.

While processing through this phrase, I was really convicted of my current life.  One of the blessing of being 27 years old and single and that I get to do what I want.  Its really true.  I do what I want, when I want to do it.  I eat when I want, I sleep when I want, I go out when I want, I stay home when I want.  I’m not responsible to anyone for making sure the kids get naptime or wanting to have dinner ready when my husband gets home.  If I’m not careful, this becomes a very selfish stage of life.  And I don’t often have to tell myself “no” about anything.

Unfortunately, I believe that this lifestyle trains me to just do what I want.  So when temptation comes, it is hard to resist because I am so used to doing what is easiest for me.

To this end… I was really convicted that one way to “train myself for godliness” was to practice saying “no” to my fleshly desires.  So that when temptation comes my self-control isn’t so out of practice.  For me, this looks like food and exercise.  I like eating what I want to eat and I don’t work out b/c I don’t like it.  Having self-control in both of these areas would be of great benefit to my life.

All that to say, I joined a gym.  Against my heart’s desires :)  But so far so good.  I go with my friend Abby and my goal is 3x/week.  If I go 4, I get to buy a smoothie.  HA!  I still need motivation, and smoothies are healthy, right?  These don’t have any sugar!  So today I ran a whopping half-mile.  That’s right, and I was proud of it.  But I did walk a lot longer than that!

Here’s to self-control and training for godliness…

No comments:

Post a Comment