Saturday, September 25, 2010

“A Day”

Imagine if you will the creepiest scratchy, deep ,latino-accented voice saying “I like American women…” as you walk pass the bus stop.

This was the unfortunate jolt back to reality that Melissa and I had i the midst of pretending we were back in the suburbs of the US.

Turns out we both just had “a day” today.  To be honest, it was the kind of day where I gladly would have jumped on a plane and headed back to NC in a second.  Nothing in particular happened… frustrating classes, not getting the stuff done that I wanted to in an afternoon, loud street noise, not having a car… the kind of stuff that happens everyday, but today every part of it bothered me.

Our solution…
Step 1: Dinner at an awesome restaurant in Curridabat called Trio.  It was loud, but playing American radio type music, so I was okay with it.  And I ate buffalo wings and mozzarella.  That’s right, that was my whole dinner.  It was almost the same as home… different tastes and I’ve never had wings served with tarter sauce before, but it was close enough :)
Step 2: TCBY.  Enough said.
Step 3: Walked by the creepy guy and were reminded that we were in Costa Rica.
Step 4: Auto Marcado.  I’m obsessed.  Not really, just tonight b/c I wanted to buy everything with a US brand name.  Its just a supermarket, but they have lots of American products that I haven’t seen here yet.  So it felt familiar.  I almost left with easy mac, not because I love easy mac, just b/c everything on the box was written in English.

It was just that kind of day.  But really my first day I’ve really had like that here.  Which is feel like is acceptable given its been almost 4 months.  I will allow myself an American splurge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment