Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Just good

2 Peter 1:3-8
His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ

I’m not sure exactly why… but these verses jumped out at me today.  I am just so encouraged by them.  Because of the goodness and glory of God, we have promises from Him that are good and trustworthy.  And if I rely on those promises and trust in God’s character, I can escape the corruption in the world.  Which is so encouraging because today I’m a little homesick for heaven.  I cannot wait for the day that holiness comes easily and godliness isn’t a fight.  I can’t wait to just be able to rest in the Lord and enjoy His presence and see Him face-to-face.

But until then there are such good things available to us.  God’s promises, first and foremost.  But then also faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, kindness, and love.  Most of these are not things that I possess in “increasing measure” but the point is that the Lord is growing me up in them poco y poco, as we say.  And HE has promised to grow me in such a way as to keep me from being ineffective and unproductive.  Today I feel ineffective and unproductive.  So I’m really thankful for that promise!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this scripture. I noticed it on facebook, just after having seen some pictures of old college friends that made me feel sad, left out and lonely. I needed a reminder that "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness," that He has loved me and called me to be a part of his beloved church, to whom He has given "very great and precious promises." Loneliness and isolation are feelings I think I will always struggle with, no matter how many friends I have, because the devil knows it's something he can use to get me down and tempt me to seek after earthly things rather than fixing my eyes on Jesus. But the love of Jesus is so powerful and His promises are so precious, that when I remember them I cannot help but be filled with joy and hope. And for that reason, I will make every effort to add all those qualities - goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, kindness and love - to my faith. Thanks, Shannon, for the reminder of God's truth!

    ReplyDelete