Tuesday, May 8, 2012

We work with people

“Its okay because they are people and not migratory ducks.” – Mike Pettengill

This weird and outlandish statement was made by Mike yesterday upon Kate’s lament that she drove around all afternoon and only found one of her street kids, but I love the sentiment.

We work with people.  Its not a pattern, its not a schedule that you can make or a formula that you can stick to.  They are people and they surprise me every day.  Sometimes they make it easy.  Its fun and we laugh and they learn and listen.  Sometimes it is just not easy at all… they complain and whine and ask for more things.  And sometimes I haven’t spent as much time with them as I want to or given them the attention that they need or the one-on-one conversation that I wish I could give them every day.  Sometimes its overwhelming.

So… I don’t think we’ll end up naming the street children’s center… “no son patos” (they aren’t ducks), although it was seeming like a good option yesterday, especially b/c it sounds kind of like “no zapatos” (no shoes) when you say it fast and it just has this cool double meaning ring to it :)  But I do want to remember the point… they are people and we need to love them right where they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment