Thursday, May 17, 2012

Heart Issues

Disobedience always has a root, but sometimes its hard to tell what it is.  When the almost 2 year old throws her toy for the third time maybe she is tired, maybe she just wants to be in control, maybe she is looking for attention.  When the 22 year old blatantly disobeys and goes to see her mom on Mother’s Day after being told not to, there is a lot more going on than just a nice visit at home.

I started by telling her that I get it.  She doesn’t have to give me excuses because I understand the pull and power that her mom has over her on an emotional level.  It didn’t come from one guilt-trip conversation.  It is the product of years of emotional manipulation that have instilled fear in a daughter’s heart to make her mom upset or angry.  And she is terrified.  She excuses her and tries to make it not sound so bad.  And yet every time she sees or talk to her she ends up in bed with a migraine so bad that she can’t lift her head up.  Clearly it affects her.

So we’re cutting ties.  Not forever, but for awhile.  You can pray for me as I go this coming week to go talk to this mom and try to explain to her why she won’t be hearing from her daughter for quite some time. Pray that the Lord will open her heart to be able to really love her daughter and know that this is the best thing.  And pray that out from under the pressure of this relationship that this daughter will be able to really rest and receive healing from the Lord.  The good thing is, she says she trusts me, or rather, trusts Jesus in me that this could really be a good thing for her.  I think it feels like it could bring freedom, but she is just so scared!  Praise the Lord that He is the Lord of hope and healing and we long for her to experience that.

1 comment:

  1. wow friend, I will be praying. Thanks for sharing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete