Monday, October 24, 2011

Downfall of being a laid-back traveler

I have been in Cusco for the past few days visiting the Josephine house and getting to see some really sweet friends!

IMG_3276IMG_3282IMG_3312IMG_3458

This morning I told Kristen that I was a laid-back traveler these days.  That is what comes from being on a plane all the time.  You stop thinking you have to be at the airport quite so early, you don’t stand up the first time they call boarding for your flight, you forget to clarify if you need a visa so that you nearly have a heart attack at the airport.

Well… I think my laid back traveling days are over because tonight, instead of being back in Honduras, I’m stuck in Guatemala City.  And I won’t be home until November the 12th.  What in the world?!?  I did not pack or prepare to be gone for almost a month.

Apparently Honduras is the only country in central or north america where you have to have the yellow fever shot coming back from Peru… 10 days before you can come back in!  I found this out at the check-in counter on my way home.  Awesome.  And totally my fault for not researching it.

I’ll admit there was freaking out, and a few (okay a lot of) tears.  10 days from today I’m supposed to be at a training in Mexico City for the pavement project, which complicated things even more. 

So here I am, in a hotel, in Guatemala City.  I’m so thankful for the kindness of the Messicks who are going to house me and hang out with me so I don’t go crazy with loneliness over the next week.  And ultimately, my time in Lima gave me tons to think through and process and there are so many things I can start on from here.  So it should even be productive.

And it just shouldn’t matter that much that I’m not sleeping in my own bed or that I have to wear the same clothes all month… I think I will believe that in the morning :)

3 comments:

  1. oh NO! This is just like when Mike couldn't get into Colombia from Honduras because of the Yellow Fever vaccine. Something to check out - He ended up flying to Colombia via the US and was able to do it without the yellow fever vaccine. He flew the very next day. Worth looking into so you don't miss your Mexico training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so sorry friend. Wish you could have come back to Cusco :=) Love you so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...sure doesn't seem like a downfall to us, but rather a windfall of "Miss. Shannon" time! We've even got a laundry machine here! And, with the roller coaster we're on right now, we are certain that you're 'early' arrival is nothing short of God's amazing plan! Praise Him! See you in a few minutes dear friend! xo the messicks!

    ReplyDelete