Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Oh the confusion

I haven’t written in a long time!  Whoops…

This story just makes me laugh so I hope you’ll enjoy it.  There is just so much humor that comes from not understanding a language.  Last Thursday I was walking home and ran into my host mom at the store on the corner.  We had a short conversation of which I understood these words: India, visitors, friend, buy, shirts.  WHAT?  First I thought she wanted me to go buy something for her at the store… but shirts?  That doesn’t make sense.  So… I kind of expected to come home to Indian friends visiting who of course I didn’t know.  But nope.  When I walk in there are authentic and beautiful Indian shirts and dresses all spread out the in the living room and friends and neighbors all looking at them.  Kind of a like an Indian garb tupperware party!  I still have no idea what is going on, but my host mom starts asking if I like things and are they pretty.  Well yes… but pretty for me?  Pretty for you?  Would I wear them?  Would they fit me?  Do I need to buy something?  Who is selling them?  So many questions.  Eventually she holds up a dress that I really like.  I have no idea what size it is… nothing… but I like it.  So I’m holding onto it I guess :)  Then I figure out that my host mom is actually selling these items… still no idea what, but people are paying her… $20ish per item.  Totally reasonable.  So I buy this dress figuring if it doesn’t fit me it will fit something.  I did turn down buying all the others items she suggested, b/c really… I don’t need them.  But the dress is really pretty and miraculously fits!  Its a little short, but I really like it. 

I later find out my host mom used to own a clothing store and occasionally gets shipments from an old vendor.  Ah… makes much more sense now.  Kind of… :)

2 comments: