Thursday, July 22, 2010

Conversation

Today was culture day at school, but since I have no time at the moment to search through my photos, I will have to tell you more about that tomorrow.

For now I want to share a huge accomplishment in Spanish learning.  Tonight I had some Spanish firsts… I went back to the Spanish Bible study tonight and actually participated in the conversation this time!  I actually was able to reference a verse in John and summarize it in Spanish.  Then Abbey and I took each other’s prayer requests and prayed for each other in Spanish (although I’ll confess to one or two English words thrown in).  Good thing God understands English, Spanish, and the thought process in between :)

When I came home, my Tica mama had some friends here and I got started talking to a girl who is a university student in Biology.  We were able to talk about my call to the mission field, her study in biology, religion and culture in India, traditional religion in the Bible belt, religion in Costa Rica, how language is changing, what beaches are the best for seeing sea turtles, etc.  I say etc. as if those things had any connection with each other… they don’t.  However, I was just SO excited to talk about something other than where I’m from, what I’m learning in class, and what articles you find in the kitchen.  I feel like I’m finally branching out.  YAY!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing AWESOME! I was so impressed by your Spanish abilities last night :) God has gifted you with the ability to learn languages faster than is typically possible, I'm convinced! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's AWESOME girl!!!! You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete