Sunday, February 19, 2012

School

I just couldn’t believe how much Ever’s face lit up when I asked him about school.  He was so excited to bring me his list of school supplies and tell me that he can now write his full name.  Kevin’s reaction was almost the same.  He just smiled and told me that he is learning a lot, likes his teacher, and is so excited about his new pencil sharpener :)  Jeffri is doing great and enjoying school as well, he was bummed that he didn’t have his list yet, so he didn’t get his books, but maybe this week.

And of course Kevin and Ever were both excited to show off their new Toms, especially b/c Caitlin has Toms, so it makes them just that much cooler.

It struck me yesterday just how much going to school is going to change their self-esteem and how they see themselves.  They have an opportunity now to be someone that they couldn’t be before.  They can dream bigger dreams for themselves and their families.  I think we’re going to be able to watch them become more confident and driven kids.

And they know it’s a privilege, one they haven’t had before, to go to school.  They aren’t taking it for granted.  And I’m SO proud of them!

Also… Kevin and Ever have started to go to Sunday school at church.  It makes my heart happy to hear them singing “I’m in the Lord’s Army” as we walk to the car.  They are going to learn so much more about Jesus being taught on their level and it will be so fun the first they tell us that they read out loud in class :)  I can’t wait for that. 

Today we’re going out to pizza to celebrate their first week of school and they are excited :)

Please keep praying for these kids to know Jesus and really walk with Him.  We stopped yesterday to meet some street kids while we had the boys with us.  It just made us sad to see how they treat other kids with prejudice that is engrained for generations.  We want to teach them how to love deeply and serve others, but we know that heart change has to come from the Lord.  So, pray for God to grab their hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment