Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reality Check

I had a realization this week.  I’m a sucker for my comforts.  I mean, comparatively speaking to my life in the states, maybe I’m learning.  It is amazing what you can live without and not even miss it.  But then there are other things…

* My car.  Its really inconvenient to use public transportation and just saying that makes me sound spoiled.

* My microwave.  There is just something about being able to have hot food in under three minutes that just brings joy to my heart.

* Internet.  I mean, I am crabby when I can’t check my email.

* Good fans and plenty of them.  People, it is hot when I ain’t got no air flow.

At Puerta de Esperanza we don’t have these things.  They have some fans, but not like at my house.  They ride the bus or walk, they cook on the stove top, they talk to each other instead of sending emails.  And I realized this week… I’m really bad at the lifestyle that I am asking them to live.  But they do not complain, not even once.

The Lord has a sense of humor.  Here Shannon, go teach girls to live and be content in a lifestyle that is so completely out of your comfort zone.  Umm… okay, sure.  But what happens?  I’m learning.  I’m learning that I am used to certain conveniences and that’s okay and isn’t going to change.  But I’m learning that I can enjoy them without NEEDING to have them and when I’m not home for long stretches of time I’m okay without those things.  I’m learning to share and drive lots of people around even if I have to pay for gas.  I’m learning to think about things that are of much more eternal value than what I have or don’t have.  Its slow… but I’m getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment