Saturday, November 19, 2011

Another Kind of Safety

Quotes from “Kisses From Katie” by Katie Davis

“People often ask me if I think my life is dangerous, if I’m afraid.  I am much more afraid of remaining comfortable.  Matthew 10:28 tells us not to fear things that can destroy the body but things that can destroy the soul.  I am surrounded by things that can destroy the body.  I interact daily with people who have deadly diseases, and many times I am the only person who can help them.  I live in a country with one of the world’s longest running wars taking place just a few hours away.  Uncertainty is everywhere.  But I am living in the midst of the uncertainty and risk, amid things that can and do bring physical destruction, because I am running from things that can destroy my soul: complacency, comfort, and ignorance.  I am much more terrified of living a comfortable life in a self-serving society and failing to follow Jesus  than I am of any illness or tragedy.”

I’ve been thinking.  People have a habit of telling me be “BE SAFE!”  This is a reasonable sentiment, especially in the past month when I’ve been traveling all over the place in countless planes, buses, and taxis.  And yet… a part of me balks at this well-meaning phrase. 

I just want to say… “I am safe!”  My mom used to say, I’m much more frightened of the ER than I am fearful of death.  And I must say, I agree.  There is no question in my mind that I will be with Jesus when I die and honestly, sometimes that is even more appealing than the broken world that surrounds me.  I cannot think of a safer place to be than right here where the Lord has me, saying yes to meeting the needs that come literally to my front door.

I don’t see myself in an extreme situation like the writer of this book.  But the question of safety has been raised.  And its so hard to find the line between faith and wisdom when it comes to who to let come in the house, what little mouths to feed, what hands to bandage up.  And I just can’t get away from thinking that these little hearts are not safe yet.  And if letting them come in and sit on my couch and learn their letters and hear that they are loved by Jesus gets them one step closer to being with Him for eternity, then I am willing.  Safe or not.

I knew when I graduated from college that I wouldn’t go home and live there forever because it was too comfortable for me.  The Lord still saw fit to challenge me in huge ways the years that I was there, but there is something different for me about living in the middle of poverty and need.  It challenges me.  It reminds me what is important in the long run.  It reminds me that I need to pray.  And it reminds me that Jesus has the power to save!  Regardless of economic status, the Word of God is living and active and brings hope and healing.  It really is the greatest gift.

Jesus called His followers to be a lot of things, but I have yet to find where He warned us to be safe.  We are not called to be safe, we are simply promised that when we are in danger, God is right there with us.  And there is no better place to be than in His hands.”

No comments:

Post a Comment