Wednesday, November 9, 2011

On humility

If you ask any of my friends they can tell you… I have a life motto.

“If you’re not good at something, just don’t do it.”

Its true.  I have lived by that motto… until moving to a Spanish speaking country.  There is nothing more humbling than being in “Spanish Kindergarten” as I took to calling language school.  Well, I thought there wasn’t anything more humbling.  But here I am.

This training has challenged me to the end of my language ability, but also to the core of my heart and who I am.  I realized, again, how prideful I am.  I have found myself thinking over and over again… if only this was in English, I could do it so easily.  Well praise the Lord that it isn’t because I would have been missing the point.

photoTomorrow I have to do a counseling session with a kid that I have never met before while 8 national Spanish speakers and 2 fluent gringas watch me on a TV screen.  Really?!?  Awesome.  Lets take all the things that are hard for me and squeeze them into one 45 minute session.  Great.

But it will be great.  I have had to pray and rely on the Lord this week so much.  I know that the words that I speak will be His words, and the work that happens in the life of this child will be His work.  If he wants me to speak clearly, I will.  And none of it by my own strength.

So, I concede to doing something things that is not a strength and just pray that God will get the glory.  You can pray too… you know… if you want. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment