Friday, September 16, 2011

No I will not marry you…

Today Caitlin got to Honduras!  And I got a marriage proposal.  It was a big day.

On the way to the airport I got stopped by the police because I didn’t have my front plate on my car, but I had it in my car, I think that should count.  He didn’t care about that, but did inform me that my registration was expired, but told me to just go pay it at the bank, no big deal.

On the way home from the airport I got stopped by the police because I was going to drive through their cones (which I was not going to do, by the way).  So he also tells me that my registration is expired and makes a huge deal out of it.  Tells me I’m going to have to leave my car there until I pay for it.  Tells me that it will be super expensive… and about 99 other things I didn’t understand.  Then he gets bored waiting for the other guy so decides to look around in the back at all of our suitcases and pricesmart food… awesome.  So we get to talking and he’s being super nice.  He wants to learn English, wants to go to the states.  So, of course, he has a proposition.

“You could help us get to the states.”
”I live here in Honduras for the next couple of years”
”Well, after that”
”How would I help you”
”Well…… you’re single so you could marry one of us”
”I don’t think so”

Yeah… I’d rather pay the ticket.  Which I did not end up getting.  I paid them $15 to put gas in their car and they let me go.

Poor Caitlin was in the car sweating the whole time.   But they did try to get her to help us communicate b/c apparently she looks Honduran… it was a great welcome to the country :)

No comments:

Post a Comment