Monday, June 21, 2010

“Look they’re communicating…”

Brian Regan reference anyone?

I must have a life… I missed a day of posting :)  I take that as a good sign.  Here are some pictures of my class and my teachers.  The top pictures is with Rita, she teaches our one hour of grammar.  And the bottom picture is with Ana Sylvia who teaches us two hours a day of conversation.  Both of these women are super sweet and very patient with our minimal Spanish speaking.  Their official stance is that they speak no English… but its a lie.  Ana Sylvia grins when we are discussing in English how to ask her something in Spanish.  She understands every word :)

Today was a day filled to the brim with Spanish speaking.  This morning a group of us attended a CMA church that is within walking distance.  I loved it.  Honestly it may have been my favorite thing that I have done all week.  I don’t know that I’ve ever been excited to hear the song “Open the Eyes of my Heart” until this morning.  We sang three songs in Spanish that we already knew the tunes to and it made a huge difference.  I could actually read and sing along.  We sang other songs as well that were harder.  But I think Sunday morning worship will be a favorite!  I could only pay attention for about 30 min of the sermon before my head started hurting from all the Spanish I didn’t understand… but its a start.

After church one of the host families that goes to church there had us over for lunch.  We got to meet their kids, practice Spanish, and meet their neighbors who are girls about my age who said we could come over anytime to practice.  YAY!  My first Tica friends :)  It was great.

I asked my Mama Tica tonight if I was speaking Spanish better than last weekend and she answered with an emphatic YES.  So… hence the title… “look they’re communicating!”  Last week I wouldn’t have even known how to ask her that question.  I do feel like as long as I speak slowly about something I know some vocabulary about, I can get my point across.  That’s something anyway :)  And I asked her to teach me how to cook fried plantains and pintos with rice, delicious.  Plus I’m going to help her make a photo book of her grand-daughter.  I’m so thankful that not all bonding has to happen around karaoke!

The Lord is so good and today has been wonderful.  I’ve been excited to be here and meeting people and learning Spanish and learning from the WORD.  So, please thank the Lord with me that my emotions are finally catching up with me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment