Thursday, June 17, 2010

Colossians – so good!

Colossians 1:13-14
”For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”

I love these verses so much because they proclaim the Gospel of Christ so boldly.  This IS what God has done for us.  He knows our sin – past, present, and future.  He is not surprised by the darkness of our hearts and yet He doesn’t let us live there.  He has made a way for us to no longer have to be under the authority of our sin.  We have a way out in Jesus and I am so thankful.  I’m so aware that God didn’t have to love me… I don’t deserve it.  And He doesn’t have to use me… I’m weak.  I get homesick and tired of learning Spanish and tired of loving people and bored with reading the Word.  And yet… He continually pursues me and tells me that I belong to Him and that He WILL use me and prepare me for that which He has called me to.  And on days like today, He makes me excited for being in Costa Rica and learning Spanish and loving people and learning from His Word.  And again, I’m thankful.

Today has been a great day.  One of the great sadnesses of my life here is that it isn’t safe to carry around my awesome new camera unless I’m in a group of people.  Otherwise I would be providing photo documentation of EVERYTHING I’m doing.  So, maybe it’s just as well?!?  As John Mayer says… “didn’t have a camera by my side this time… maybe I will tell you all about it…” 

So, here goes.  I think I’m learning Spanish.  Poco y poco as the man at the fast food place told me tonight.  Slowly but surely.  Its been four days of class and already some words are coming in Spanish before English as I’m thinking through what to say.  That’s a huge deal.  And I’m making every effort to speak Spanish, even when people want to speak English to me.  I’m getting good at saying… “sorry I have bad Spanish, I’ve only been here a week, I want to learn, etc.”  It wins people’s affection to be honest… when you tell them you’re trying.  I had a couple short conversations with cashiers because of it.  So… I’m learning.

I’m also starting to feel less trapped and more able to get around.  Today I took a taxi for the first time to the multiplaza (since I was with people who surprisingly know a little less Spanish then I do, I did the talking… hard to believe, but true).  It’s amazing.  Its pretty much a mall like we would have in the States, smaller, but great.  First thing I spot when I walk in the door… CINNABON!!!  Anyone who was in the DR with me will remember how much I love Cinnabon if you recall my reaction when I spotted one at the ATL airport.  So… Katherine and I split one… it was great and made me happy :)  We walked around awhile, shopped, and then saw Robin Hood.  Don’t be fooled, this is the not the same Robin Hood as any other movie I’ve ever seen… totally different story.  Threw me for a loop.  Watching in English with Spanish subtitles was great.  I saw and heard so many of my new words that I’m learning.  Its so great for recall purposes!

So yes.  Today was a great day.  Tomorrow is the last day of class for the week and then I’m going to adventure to downtown San Jose.  I’ll keep you posted :)

3 comments:

  1. I love happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A) Love Colossians and that the LORD pursues us, and never tires, even when we tire.
    B) Superb John Mayer reference. One of the many reasons I love you. This, and the fact that you can relate almost anything to a Friends episode.
    C) Your "CINNABON!!!" moment literally made me chortle!
    D) You are a favorite. For so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete