Sunday, June 13, 2010

He who has called you is faithful!

1 Thessalonians 5:24

I started this post differently, but I had to come back and change it.  I just got back from walking around the neighborhood (my neighborhood is called San Francisco, how awesome is that?).  On my walk, I was thinking that maybe I was not the only new lonely student who would be out on Sunday afternoon trying to find my way to school for Monday morning.   So I prayed that God would let me meet another student.  About a block later I see about 20 gringos getting off a bus… so I boldly ask if they are from the language school, and they are :)  They aren’t new students, but they are so friendly and we chat for a little while.  I meet Charlie and Mark who are here with their families and just getting back from a weekend camp.  Isn’t the Lord good to answer prayer?  I couldn’t believe it and teared up a little at how much my God knows and loves me and answers my needs.

I promise once I have a life here I won’t write such long posts :)

So… day two in Costa Rica, the weather is beautiful and I’m starting to figure life out at least a little bit.  Still so thankful for Mark and Marge who took me with them to youth group last night.  They lead youth group for an international group, mostly MKs.  It was really fun to see the Lord working in this group of kids and hear Marge’s stories of how the Lord is changing their lives.  It was sad as four of them are leaving, either for the summer or for good after language school or a term of serving.  This is the life of an MK.  Lots of change and people coming and going from your life.  I don’t think change and I get along.  So… this new missionary life is going to be interesting!  :)

My host parents have been nothing but kind.  This morning we had a misunderstanding I think :)  I thought I told Don Alfredo that I was going to go for a walk to explore the neighborhood and find my way to the school, etc.  But then he told me the mom would go with me.  And then asked if I wanted to come with them.  I still thought we were walking around the neighborhood, but we got in the car and went to the market instead :)  So… I went to the market and grocery store, which was great.

Tomorrow we start class… so pray for lots of new friends :)

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I know EXACTLY where you are staying! A friend of ours stayed there! That park is awesome for walking in/around - you are also not too far from the farmers market...can't wait to hear about your adventures that start tomorrow! Do NOT be frustrated when you go into class and they just start talking Spanish - NO English! Prayers your way! We had gringo church tonight and prayed for you specifically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to live, Shannon. Reading of your first two days has taken me back to ours. It's confusing, exciting, lonely, scary all at once. God's many blessings as you begin this adventure! Love, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that verse! It's my firm belief that if God calls us to serve Him in some way, that He will equip us to do it. That's a perfect verse for you to hang onto, especially today and your first week of classes. :)

    So this is kinda cheesy but... I was going to say that you should write it down and keep it in your back pocket, and then I thought of the song, "catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day." And then I thought - how much greater are the promises of God?! And His promises aren't just for that one time when you need it most, but for right now, all the time. Take THAT, falling star.

    You'll do great Shannon, because you're super cool. And because God's already promised that He's doing this with you, because He's called you there and He's faithful to you. :)

    Love you and sooo jealous and impatient and excited to be there with you!

    ReplyDelete