Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Story about Grace

This week Y has been hard.  She is out of school so she has more free time.  She has been sick so she has been tired and irritable.  But the truth is, none of this is a good enough reason for the terrible attitude that she has been showing.  She fights the house moms at every turn, speaks disrespectfully, and has had more than one consequence this week.  She has had money cut from her paycheck for being consistently late to work, she has lost privileges in the house… the truth is there are times with her that I am at a loss.

Friday afternoon was no different.  She spent her pay money on sodas, juice, candy, and taxis and now doesn’t have enough money to buy her baby’s diapers.  She yelled at me and Oneyda, refused to obey, and ended up getting sent to her room.  She swore up and down she wasn’t coming to her own graduation dinner because there wasn’t water to get ready and because it didn’t matter and she didn’t care.  When I left the house I simply said, I love you and I’ll see you tonight.  It was met with… I’m not coming.  Okay fine, I’ll keep your presents if you don’t show.  I love you and goodbye.

6:30 rolls around and I go by to pick them up.  Low and behold it is time to leave and she is nowhere near ready.  We finally make it to the restaurant with everyone in tow and commence celebrating Y and her graduation.  For her this is huge.  She has previously graduated 6th grade, but now she graduated from a class with a life skill, able to work and support her daughter.  A friend at dinner found her a job in a salon and we go for the interview on Tuesday afternoon.  People generously gave her a new hairdryer, mirror, manicure supplies, professional hair-cutting books.  I so wish I could show you pictures.  She was literally gasping in delight.  She felt so loved, cared for, supported.

You know how Scripture says that it is the kindness of the Lord that leads us to repentance?  Tonight was a perfect example.

Right before we stepped out of the restaurant she pulled me aside and hugged me with tears streaming down her face.  Thank you Susana.  I am so sorry for how I’ve been acting.  After a whole week and punishments as well, this is the only thing that pushed her to real heartfelt repentance.  Wow.

Praise the Lord that He loves us with grace and mercy.  He shows us justice, but leads us to repentance through His kindness.  I need to know more of that in my life.  And pray that Y knows it as well.  Not just from us, but from Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment