Monday, July 11, 2011

My mom

Today is my mom’s birthday.  I’m so thankful I get to be home to celebrate with her!

A blog post is not sufficient to tell you all the reasons that I love and appreciate and respect my mom, but I’ll try to give you a glimpse…

She taught me what it looks like to love Jesus and be committed to following Him, I cannot remember a day that I didn’t know about the Lord or know that my parents loved God fiercely.  Our house has an open door, sometimes quite literally.  My mom has fed countless people, hosted parties, Bible studies, exchange students, other family members, and at least one homeless family in my memory.  She shows me daily what Godly hospitality looks like.  Also, tough love.  My mom walks the delicate balance of loving people and yet not enabling them.  She would tell you that she is still learning how to do it, but she has already taught me so much.  She supports me.  Always.  In everything.  Whether it was childhood plays or being a missionary, I know that she prays for me and would do literally anything that I needed.  Sometimes that looks like cleaning my house when I move or staying up all night with me when I can’t breathe… I still miss my mom when I’m sick and far from home.  And I love that she loves being a part of my life.  Lastly, I love that she loves Thai food and decided to eat it for her birthday… selfishly b/c it is one of my favorites :)

All that to say… happy birthday mom.  I love you!

1 comment:

  1. We got to see though Shan what an incredible Mom you are Darcie!! And from a distance, we've come to love you too! Hope you had a wonderful birthday!
    xo The Messicks

    ReplyDelete