Sunday, July 17, 2011

Blessed are the Flexible…

for they will never be bent out of shape.

I’m not sure there is ever a time in my life that I have been that flexible.  There is always something that can bend me out of shape.

I’m a control freak.  That’s a true story.  I love knowing what is coming, I love planning ahead.  It’s a good day when everything goes according to schedule and gets done on time and in an orderly manner.  But this is not real life.  And this is definitely not real life here.

We were saying today that it seems to be the case that cars can run fine all year long, until summer teams come, then they will break down… guaranteed.  And that’s just an example.  This summer, and especially this past week, have been riddled with reasons to get bent out of shape.  And we’re tired.  Lets just add that to the mix.

So the question for me actually is not, “Am I flexible?”, but rather, “Do I trust God?”

Do I trust him for the details?  The house that I had been looking at for the girls’ home rented to someone else.  Do I believe the Lord has another house, one that could even be better?  The Clows van is broken again.  Do we trust that the Lord knows how we’ll get everyone to from Armenia this week?  Do I trust that He knows what He is doing?

And then the biggest question of all… Do I trust that the Lord really doesn’t need me and my plan?  Oh, but my plans seem like such good ideas.

I’m reminded of a Caedmon’s Call song called “Two Weeks in Africa”
We put the walls up, but Jesus keeps them standing.
He doesn't need us, but He lets us put our hands in.
So we can see, His love is bigger than you and me.

He doesn’t need us…

In Matthew 16:18 Jesus says “I will build my church”.  He doesn’t say that missionaries will build his church.  But that He will build it.  He is doing it.  He is building His church. 

He knows all the details and He knows us.  He knows our weaknesses.  And He knows Satan’s attack strategy.  And He’s got it under control.  I believe that.  He is building His church.  He IS working in the hearts of people and drawing people to Himself.

Today in gringo church we sang these words…
Forbid it Lord that I should boast, save in the death of Christ my God.

I think I’m seeing a pattern.  I think the Lord is trying to remind me that He is doing this.  It is not about our ministry and what we have to offer.  Its about believing that God is the one who is working and having no choice in the end but to give Him ALL the glory that is due His name.

So I don’t really think I need to be more flexible.  I think I just need a little more faith in a God that is big enough to be the planner and executer.  And He is big enough to be in the details.

1 comment:

  1. this post resonates in my heart because i SOOOOO identify with you in this. i'm not very flexible, which reveals my little view of God and therefore my small faith. thank you for posting this and pointing your heart (and my heart) to our big, capable, loving God, who is bringing about our sanctification (and our flexibility!). :)

    ReplyDelete