Monday, June 27, 2011

Surprise singing

Last night I went out to Armenia with the team for church.  As I walked into the church the pastor greeted me by saying… “Ahh, buenas, la amiga que canta!”  In other words… “oh, good evening, the friend who sings!”  Hmm, where is this going.

“Did you bring your guitar?”
"Actually, its in the car b/c I was taking it home”
”Oh!  You are going to sing.  You can plug it in up front.”
”Oh… okay”

So with Honduran style reverb and all, we got to sing a couple of praise songs in Spanish.  It was actually great b/c we were able to sing some things that our 17 person team from the states knew in English so they could sing along.  We also sang lots of their traditional songs as well.

I made a crucial error.   I stood on stage from the beginning of the service waiting my turn to play, b/c no one tells you these things.  This meant every time they started singing one of their songs (which I don’t know), they would look at me as if to say, “why aren’t you playing along?”  “Umm… b/c I have never in my life heard this song before…”  One lady asked me afterwards, “why didn’t you play to my song, I wanted to sing to the guitar?”  Well… sorry… I think I need an Armenia church music lesson before this happens again…

No comments:

Post a Comment