Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Puedo hacer tortillas!

Today I had a cooking adventure with some Honduran friends.  I actually didn’t have my camera, and since I was covered in flour and shortening, that was probably a good thing.  But here are some pictures Mike caught for me.

When I got there we started by making empañadas.  This is a bread dough stuffed with all different kinds of goodness.  Our were cinnamon and cream cheese… yum!  Mine were not very pretty when I started, but got better over time.

Then we made corn tortillas, which is what I’m doing here.  They are super easy, by the way.

Then lastly, we made flour tortillas.  These are delicious.  I’m not kidding, they are my favorite thing in Honduras.  They are thick and yummy and I needed to learn how to make them, dough and all.  So, Teresa was patient with me and actually measured things for me so I could try to learn.  There was still a lot of adding a pinch of this and just a little more water… but in general I think I’ve got it.  I’m going to try on my own tomorrow.  But the dough is the easy part.  After that its like watching guys at a pizzeria.  They just throw the dough back and forth hand to hand making perfect circles.  I made some really cool map shapes, but not many perfect circles.  I need some practice :)  And the daughters in the family just laughed at me b/c they’ve been doing this as long as they can remember.

All that to say, it was really fun!  And this week’s short-term team got to help too.  They made their own tortillas for their lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment