Thursday, February 24, 2011

Channeling the inner nerd

True confessions tonight. The Lord knew that I needed some encouragement. It has been a rough week of Spanish. I feel like my Spanish is MUCH worse than it was three weeks ago. Three weeks ago I could speak semi-fluidly and mostly get my point across. Stupid subjuntive has ruined my life and made me realize that about half of what I said was wrong. Awesome. So now every time I open my mouth to speak in Spanish, I second guess myself and stumble over all my words. Its terribly disheartening.

And then to add insult to injury I woke up this morning thinking it was Friday. How disappointing to enter into the shocking reality that it is, as has been all day, Friday. Thankfully we were talking about “I wish” with impossibilities in class today. So I got to let everyone know how much I wished it was Friday over and over again…

Ojalá que hoy fuera viernes.
Ojalá que mañana fuera sabado.
Ojalá que ayer hubiera ido jueves.

It seriously made my heart sad and put me in a semi-bad mood.

So then tonight I was super frustrated with computers, wanted to eat Lucky Charms for dinner, but didn’t have any milk, feeling frustrated that my hair still isn’t long enough to stay in a pony-tail… oh woe is me.

And then that boast of encouragement that I needed came. Who would have thought it would be a skype tutor session in Calculus… but indeed! One of the girls from home called me with a calculus test looming over her head for tomorrow and a homework set due at 11. Praise the Lord I am good at something! It was so good for my heart to be able to help her make formulas and do derivatives. I am such a nerd. I could literally do math problems for hours (and I have!). It sucks me in and I love the way it is a challenge and makes me think and solve the puzzle. I got a graphing calculator app for my ipod that makes me super excited (again, the inner nerd, let’s not judge).

It just feels good to have something that you’re good at and something that you have to offer. So… tonight in the midst of all the Spanish that I cannot seem to make come out of my mouth, I’m thankful for Calculus!

3 comments:

  1. Love this, Shannon! We can relate....what a crazy journey this is....

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you can twirl. :-)

    (seriously, I understand. that's exactly why I teach ESL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you can sing and play guitar!

    ReplyDelete