Friday, October 22, 2010

Costa Rica

Today I was in Hipermas (the Costa Rican Walmart equivalent).  I went with 2 friends and ended up running into 4 other people that I know, one of whom we recruited to share our cab on the ride home.  After shopping we grabbed McDonalds ice cream and burgers and were processing Costa Rican life together, when I said, you know, I would never buy McDonalds ice cream on a Walmart run in the states.  I think I like it here.

And its true.  For all of the things that are different here and for as much as I was frustrated by my newly acquired pet peeves (squishy flip-flops that squeak and wet pant legs from puddles and splashes that are just about dry by the time you’re ready to go back outside again) later in the day while walking to the Lee’s… I really do like it here!

Here are some things that I love.
1. Believe it or not, I love not having a cell phone.  It makes my life more peaceful
2. I love that places like Hipermas have a food court and I can sit and eat ice cream after I shop
3. I love that I’m not paying for car insurance or gas
4. I love that things are close by and its easy to travel to places that are beautiful for a weekend get-away
5. Although I complain at times, I really enjoy walking a lot and I know its good for me
6. I love volleyball on Tuesday nights
7. I love my Wednesday night Bible study in Spanish
8. I love that people are friendly and want to chat.  I could stop and have a conversation with about 4 people that I’ve met in their workplaces, just on the 3 block walk to school.
9. I LOVE living in this kind of community where I can walk to everyone’s house, I see people that I know all over the neighborhood when I’m out walking or running errands, I love that people help each other (housesitting, watching kids, asking what you need at the store), and that we’re all in the same place learning and living life together with a common goal
10. I love meeting all these people who love Jesus and have the same heart to reach the nations for His kingdom

To sum up… the Lord has given me the opposite of culture shock today… we shall call it “culture enjoyment” and I’m thankful for it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment