Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Guest Post!!!

Shannon asked me to write a guest blog giving my first impressions of Honduras.  As a disclaimer, I've only been to one other Latin American country, once.

So, my top ten initial impressions of Honduras:

1.  Honduras is hotter than Hell... without air conditioning.  Although, I suppose Hell also lacks ac.

2. Police don't drive around in cars.  Instead they have checkpoints throughout the city, as does the military, with really big guns.  Sometimes they want to check the trunk, but other times they only ask questions like "Is everything legal?" or "Do you have a gun?"

3.  It gets dark here around 6:30 which makes me feel exhausted by 10. 

4.  Shannon has water from 6-10 am and 5-8ish pm because people are stealing water in a neighborhood nearby.  This never occurs to me until I have a handful of soap that I can't rinse off.

5. The heat isn't as big of a deal to me as the fact that the steak is well done.  I want my beef rare or medium rare, and this meat is well past rare.  The pork and chicken are great, but I'm a beef girl and this does not work for me.

6.  There are fresh juice places everywhere.  They're amazing.  I’ve been here a week and I’ve visited them 3 times and plan to go again!

7.  Did I mention the really big guns at the checkpoints and on each security guard at each store?!?

8.  The power lines look like the fridge art my three year old adopted nephew sent me. 

9.  Things I've seen while driving:  horses and buggies, a man in a wheelchair in the MIDDLE of an intersection, a pickup full of people with people sitting in lawn chairs holding a mattress over their heads, a rickshaw full of coconuts, a man walking through town carrying a streetlight, and a van with speakers on the roof.  I'm pretty sure if I die while I'm here, it will be in the car.

10.  My sister rocks!  And God is moving here.  I love watching all the friendships she's so good at establishing, despite only speaking the language two years.  So proud of her.

We've been some fantastic places.  La Ceiba has mountains, rivers, and the beach.  I’ve met lots of fun people, including precious kids with gorgeous eyes.  I'm so thankful to have the opportunity to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment