Friday, January 14, 2011

Things that are the same

This post is dedicated to a friend who is spending some time in a court-mandated facility… I got to see her while I was home over Christmas and she made me promise to write this post.

It never ceases to amaze how much we as people are, in our very nature, the same.  The things that we love and desire, the things that we fear, our insecurities, our hopes… So much of these things resonate with all of us in a similar way.  So as I visited with this friend, we were struck with the irony that she is serving time for her bad choices while I am serving the Lord on the mission field, and yet a lot of struggles are heart issues and all too similar to both of us.

1. We miss people
There is just something about being with people who know you that is so good.  I love being with friends who know my life and my heart and I don’t have to explain everything.  I can tell a story without having to back up and tell who all the people are, in fact, sometimes they were even there and we’re just reliving it together.  And I’m starting to have that here, but it just takes time.  At one point we were talking about all the food that we miss, because I’ll have you know, that’s a list that can go on and on!  And she just stopped me and said, “but you know, I don’t need all that food, what I really miss is people”.  And I so agree.

2. We have lonely moments
I commented that for the first couple of weeks that I was in Costa Rica I cried.  A lot.  Can I tell you that I never used to be an emotional person?  Well, apparently I’m not alone.  We want so much to be known and loved and accepted.  We want people to pursue us in friendship and care about our lives.  And when we are thrown into a new place and don’t have that, its lonely. 

3. We say a lot of hellos and goodbyes
We could both readily agree that goodbyes are the worst.  You get to see people and enjoy time with them and then bawl your eyes when its over.  Its so bittersweet.  You love that you got to see them and you hate that it had to end.  But then you get excited all over again the next time you get to see them.  Sometimes our hearts don’t know what to do with themselves.  That’s the truth :)

4. We have very little control
Sometimes we are forced to give up control, sometimes we choose to do it.  But we laughed together at the things that we have eaten that wouldn’t have been our first choice or the way that we have spent our time that is never have we would have spent it at home.  For me this includes the eating of hot dog soup, cow tongue, tamales… for her its skipping the meal to have a sub for 5 days in a row.  I didn’t realize how much freedom choosing what you eat brings to your life.

5. We’re learning a whole new culture
There is something about being uncomfortable in a new place that you don’t know that forces you to be flexible.  I’m having to learn it with a whole new language and international culture.  She’s having to learn how to respect rules and authority.  And its different and its hard and sometimes you want to give up and rebel against it.  But ultimately you learn and grow and adjust and you maybe even find that in the newness there is freedom.

There are so many comparisons that we were able to make.  And I think all of them really come back to this one thing.  Each one of us wants to be known and loved.  And we want to have a place to belong and to call home.  And when those things are threatened, its hard and lonely and uncomfortable.

But the good news is that the Lord fulfills all those things in my life.  And even in the moments when it is hard and lonely uncomfortable, I know that I am known and loved.  All my mess is known by my Savior who loves and forgives me.  He gives me a place to call home, a place in His family.  He steps right down into my mess and my lack of faith and gives me freedom to walk with Him knowing peace and hope. 

So here’s to trusting that the Lord is enough for every one of our heart issues… and oh, we have so many!

1 comment:

  1. I could agree with all these things....friends and goodbyes the most...I am so glad God sent both of us here at the same time. It has made being here alot easier...love ya!

    ReplyDelete