Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gotta love it

Today in Guizarros I had the privilege to teach these little ones about Jesus.  I love it.  I’m so glad my Spanish finally allows me to communicate well enough to work with kids.  If I’m honest, I’ve missed it.  I love kids.  I love their curiosity.  I love that once you get them talking, you can’t get them to stop.  For example, we talked about creation.

Shannon “What did God make?”
Kids “Tigers, Elephants, People, Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Water… 5 minutes later… Hippos, Fish…”  and they proceeded to name everything that they were either seeing in the room or in the pictures that I was holding up.

And, in case you were wondering, I’m still obsessed with the Jesus storybook Bible.  We talked about creation and I told the story with all the correct verb tenses, because I was reading :)  And we got to talk about Jesus because every story whispers His name!

We also got to sing… “Mi Dios es tan grande, tan fuerte y podoroso.  No hay nada que no pueda hacer.”  I’ve made a decision to start learning kids songs in Spanish.  It kills me that I know a song for probably every old testament Bible story in English, but in Spanish I’ve got nothing.  Basically my tool kit is empty.  Time to start filling it up!

Anyway… pray for these sweet little faces.  In their world most of them have been deserted by their dads and fend for themselves a lot of the time while mom works.  They eat lunch every day at the soup kitchen and don’t even have a set of crayons at home or books to read.  They have rivalries with kids from other families just because that’s the way it is, they may not even know why.  But they are kids.  They laugh and want to play duck, duck goose.  They get excited and talk too fast for me to understand.  They love games and especially love winning, even if its just bingo.  They are precious.  And they need to know Jesus and the hope and healing that comes only from HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment