Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What Difference Do it Make?

Over my vacation I read this book, “What Difference Do it Make?”.  Its the second book that follows “Same Kind of Different as Me”, written by Ron Hall and Denver Moore.  I love these books.  They are about the unlikely story of friendship between a wealthy art dealer and a homeless man brought together by the Lord’s work through a woman who was willing to step into the trenches to love people.  Here are some of my favorite parts…

 

“And needy people don’t need no perfect people neither.  When Jesus send His disciples out, He set Peter right along, knowin Peter had a bad temper and a potty mouth and was gon’ deny Him three times.  He sent John and James even though they was full a’ pride and fightin over the best seat at the table.  He even sent Judas, knowin Judas was gon’ betray Him.  Even though Jesus knowed all their sins and weakness, He sent ‘em anyway.

Listen, if the devil ain’t messin with you, he’s already got you.  If you is waitin to clean up your own life before you get out and help somebody else, you may as well take off your shoes and crawl back in the bed ‘cause it ain’t never gon’ happen.  Jesus don’t need no help from no perfect saints.” –pg.45-46

 

“But when you reachin out to folks, ‘specially if you just reachin out when other folks expects it, you got to ask yourself-is you doing it for God, or is you doin it for you?” –pg 55

 

“Since I been visitin a lotta chuches, I hear people talkin ‘bout how, after readin our story, they felt “led” to help the homeless, to come alongside the down-and-out.  But when it comes to helpin people that ain’t got much, God didn’t leave no room for feelin led.

Jesus said God gon’ sperate us based on what we did for folks that is hungry and thirsty, fellas that is prisoners in jail and folks that ain’t got no clothes and no place to live.  What you gon’ do when you get to heaven and you ain’t done none a’that?  Stand in front of God and tell Him, “I didn’t feel led”?

You know what He gon’ say?  He gon’ say, “You didn’t need to feel led ‘cause I had done wrote it down in the Instruction book.”” –pg 154

1 comment:

  1. You hit most of the parts I like, but I think this might be my favorite:

    “Just tell em I’m a nobody that’s tryin to tell everybody ‘bout Somebody that can save anybody.”

    ReplyDelete