Thursday, May 16, 2013

Seeking God

Today I am so thankful that God loves us in the midst of our selfishness, our stupidity, our stubborness.  Maybe not everyone has the moments, but I certainly do.  Today I feel very stubborn, foolish, selfish.  And I am so thankful that my salvation and my relationship with Christ does not depend on me, but depends on Him.  He is enough when I have nothing to give.

Last night Lesther and I were studying Romans with Mike and Ashley.  We have been SLOWLY making our way through Tim Kellers´study and its really good when we actually do it :)

I was really challenged by this...  Keller was talking about how true seekers are seeking God because they attracted to His holiness and glory, because they seek God for who He is in himself.


Lloyd-Jones says:
“Seeking [God] is much more active than asking [God] for things’. The moment you realize this content to the word ‘seek,’ you begin to see that the Apostle’s statement is quite right… Prayers do not mean that we are seeking God. Seeking God means you are trying to find God, and to get into His presence… To seek God means to desire God above everything and everybody, to seek His glory, to be anxious to promote his glory. To seek God in the biblical sense means that God is the center of our thinking.”

And it speaks also to good works through this story...

Once in a kingdom long ago, a gardener grew a huge carrot, and decided to give it to his prince, because he loved his sovereign. When he gave it, the prince discerned his love and devotion, and that he expected nothing in return. So as the gardener turned to leave, he said, “Here, my son, I want to give you some of my land so you can produce an even greater crop. It is yours.” And the gardener went home rejoicing. A nobleman heard of this incident and thought, “If that is what the prince gives in response to the gift of a carrot, what would he give to me if I gave him a fine horse?” So the nobleman came and presented the prince with a fine steed as a gift. But the prince discerned his heart and said, “You expect me to give to you as I did to the gardener. I will not. You are very different. The gardener gave ME the carrot. But you were giving yourself the horse.” (from a sermon by Charles Spurgeon)
I am just selfish.  I don`t always serve the Lord and do ¨good works¨ because of my deep love and devotion to the Lord.  Sometimes I want to be succesful, sometimes I want people to think well of me, sometimes I want to be recognized.

I want to love the Lord in this way... to desire more than anything to be in His presence, to seek Him, to be in the Word and in prayer longing desperately to know more of Him, wanting to give him everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment