Saturday, March 12, 2011

Trying to compete with a chicken…

I’ve worked with kids a lot in my life, but this morning was a little crazy!

In the taxi on the way up to Guizarros I find out that I need to teach this morning.  No big deal, I have my handy dandy kids Bible, a puzzle (rompecabeza en español, which means broken head and I think that’s great :)), a memory game, and am good to go.  Or so I thought… I had no idea what awaited me.

In a small room it was just me, 12 kids between the ages of 2 and 10, and a whole lot of Spanish.  So, we try to get started.  Oh, but wait, there’s a front-end loader out back and all of the sudden everyone is staring out the holes in the wall to try to see it.  Ever try to pry little boys attention away from a piece of construction equipment?  Not even the story of Noah is interesting enough.

So I finally have them mostly settled listening to a story…

And in comes the chicken.   That’s right, a real live scurrying chicken.  Guess who wins between Noah and the chicken?  Yep, right again. 

The chicken finally leaves while I’m holding a two-year old in one hand, a book in the other, and trying to keep 11 other sets of ears listening to a story.  About 5 minutes later the chicken is back and running away from the people trying to catch it, under the table where all the kids are sitting.  So now I have 6 little boys trying to catch a chicken and bunch of little girls standing on the table :)

When it was all over I just looked at one of the girls and said, “today it is impossible to pay attention.”  She agreed, smiled, and gave me a hug.  Then we abandoned Noah and drew rainbows instead. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment