Sunday, January 31, 2010

Korean Church

I finally have some pictures from the Korean church... they aren't great, but when you're attempting to be discreet there is only so much you can do! And by attempting I mean, I couldn't figure out to get my camera to stop making its super loud shutter noise so I would self-consciously wince every time I took a picture... bah. This is Hyeonae who has been instrumental to hosting us this month. She runs the North Korean prayer meeting every Sunday and the Thai prayer group that I wrote about before. This is the North Korea prayer group that meats before church every Sunday to pray. The group fluctuates, but this is who was here today. These are two Thai ladies that I have been privledged to meet. Orrathai is on the left and Parika on the right. Parika has only known the Lord for about 6 weeks... please be praying for her. She is a joy to talk to... I wish I had more time to get to know her. Orrathai is passionate about spreading the Gospel to other Thai ladies in neighborhood and building. Right now we are praying for her upstairs neighbor to come to know the Lord We have been giving testimonies every week as well about how the Lord brought us into His family and how He called us to the mission field... this week was Jenni's turn. To go along with the rest of the pictures, I want to tell you about a girl that I met this morning at church. We have been talking about how God is moving in the world and how it just our job to get on board with what He is doing. He is calling people to Himself and working in their hearts. I want to believe that, but so often I feel the burden that it is up to me to seek people out and convince them of the truth of the Gospel. This morning the Lord turned that upside down for me... yet again. I was visiting with a new Korean friend who is here in Brussels working with YWAM. She introduced me to a friend of hers from Antwerp and then she had to go leaving me to chat. Honestly, my first inclination was to make small talk and then get away to where I was more comfortable. But, as my conversation started to unfold, the Lord opened this girl's heart to share with me. She started to share that she doesn't come to church often and all of her friends tell her she should stop coming to church and just drink instead. She doesn't like to drink but she doesn't know if she believes in God. Sometimes she thinks that she could and sometimes she just doesn't know if she can believe the Bible. It just seems crazy to talk about how Jesus did miracles and healed people and raised them from the dead... how can that be true? She told me that she is desperate for someone to answer her questions. She doesn't read the Bible because she gets so frustrated. I got to share with her why I believe in the Gospel and how it has changed me life. I got to tell her that my life is still a mess. I got to talk to her about grace and forgiveness and how God's character, His love and mercy and compassion, but also His power that is above our understanding, all came to life in Jesus. I told her some books of the Bible to read and that I trusted that she would find the Jesus that I believe in when she read them. She asked for my email address to ask me questions. Who says God isn't working in the world? I didn't do anything to initiate this... I'm so thankful for the Korean church and that they will follow up with this girl and so many others to teach them the truth of the Gospel!

2 comments: