Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Brussel Sprout



Thanks to Erin M. who came up with my blog title :)


Question of the day: If you were going to name your grocery store “Abba’s butt”, would you put is across the street from an elementary school?

While we’re at it, I would like to point out that one of the “symbols” of Brussels is a peeing boy statue. I don’t feel the need to post a picture for you, but feel free to look it up. I just don’t really get it to be honest with you…

Today has been great, and a little more low-key. My roommates and I have a tendency to stay up too late, leave our homework ‘till night-time, and talk too much. Sounds like college :) Except that last night we went to a pub, that’s something I never did in college. Every week we have to find a place to make cultural observations, called ethnographies… so that’s been a fun adventure. It’s a great way to gain insight into the culture, draw conclusions, and then find out later that lots of them were wrong. But you only find that out if you keep watching and paying attention and asking questions. Hmm… sounds like what I’ll be doing a lot of really soon in Central America.

The last two days of training have felt a lot like seminary. Okay, I’ve never been, but I’m taking a wild stab at it since our teacher is a seminary professor at Westminster. We had sessions on Evangelism and Contextualization. They were really good. Keep your eyes out for a post about evangelism. I was really struck by the things he said and I want to share some of them with you at a later time… or maybe immediately since the internet just went down and you don’t be getting this post ‘till later either apparently.

I have so much else to say… but I want you all to keep reading my blog and not think I’m trying to write a 700 page novel one chapter at a time… so I’m going to be done for now :)


Yay… the internet is back!
Does this mean that only moms with purses and girls with pigtails get to cross the street?

I ran into some friends while wandering through town... looks like the Luthers found Aldis!















1 comment: