Tuesday, January 26, 2010

devotional thoughts

This morning I shared a devotion with the group on the theme, "God pursues his people". I wanted to share some verses and a quote with you...

Deuteronomy 7:7-9
“The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your forefathers that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.”

“As the story develops throughout the Old Testament, this covenant love is referred to in various terms, but the main one is hesed… Hesed is God’s loving kindness—the consistent, ever-faithful, relentless, constantly pursuing, lavish, extravagant, unrestrained, one-way love of God. It is often translated as covenant love, loving kindness, mercy, steadfast love, loyal love, devotion, commitment, or reliability.” – Mark Driscoll

Psalm 116:1-2, 5-7
I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy.
Because HE turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.
The LORD is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.
The LORD protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me.
Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you.

1 Peter 2:9
“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment