Saturday, August 9, 2014

God's People, the Church

As the people of God, the bride of Christ, we are far from perfect.  A few weeks ago I challenged the girls in Bible study to have to come up with an answer to a non-Christian who asks them why the church is so full of sin if these are supposedly God's people.  They really struggled with the answer, and I don't blame them.  Its hard to wrap your head around until you realize that the goal of Christianity is not being perfect and following all of God's rules.  The Lord is so much more concerned with our humility, recognizing our sin, fighting to know more and more of Him, and allowing the Holy Spirit to change us.  And change is hard, and sometimes slow.  And sometimes our sin nature fights awfully hard to hold on to us... but we have hope since we know that Jesus always wins!

But regardless, I love the church.  In spite of all of its imperfection, flawed leadership, and struggles.  I have learned more about Jesus through His people than anywhere else.  Through the teaching of His Word first and foremost, but also through fellow believers.  I have learned so much about grace, patience, hospitality, forgiveness, and and and...

I tell you all of this to say that I think the local church is a huge part of our ministry at Puerta de Esperanza... not because its perfect, but because we need the teaching of the Word and the fellowship with God's people.  And the truth is, its hard to find a good church around here and sometimes I get worried when the girls are off on their own and looking for a church.  But I trust this... God's Word never goes out void, so if they are studying His Word, He will speak to them.

Why am I writing this today?  Well... I am taking one of our new potential girls to church with us tonight to try it and see what she thinks.  She will commit to attend church regularly if she comes to live at the home, so its important for her to see if she will be able to do that.  I hope she falls in love with Jesus, and also with learning about Him in that setting.  AND I talked to M last night, the one who moved back to Tegucigalpa with a chip on her shoulder towards the Lord and told me she was done with Him.  Well, she just can't get Jesus out of her mind and she's been watching pastors on TV and reading her Bible and is going to start looking for a church tomorrow.

So I pray that they will love the church the way I do... in all its imperfections.  That they will love Jesus first and then want to be part of His people worshiping together.

No comments:

Post a Comment