Friday, November 15, 2013

Mara

She lives here in Ceiba and for various reasons I will not use her real name, but I will call her Mara. Although not a candidate for PDE, she is a single mom that I have had the chance to get to know... she is young, loves her son, but has no idea how to be a mom. This is such a timeless story in this place. It is un-countable the number of young single moms who want to do the right thing, but don't know how. And for every one of those there is one that doesn't even know how to even love their children at all.




But Mara... she loves her son and I really believes she wants to be the best possible mom to him, but how? And as I get to know her I see with such clarity that it will be impossible for her to be the mom that he needs until she knows Jesus. She is stubborn, insecure, bitter, and just plain unhappy. I think he is the only thing that makes her smile... but she is so unaware of just how miserable she is. I think she just doesn't know that there could be something more.



I begged the Lord last night that she would know joy and peace. That she would know Jesus. For His glory, for her salvation, and for her son to have a mom who can raise him in the knowledge of the Lord.



As I walk through this journey called parenthood myself I really am more drawn to believe that it is impossible without Jesus. I need His grace in large measure as I act and react to my children, as I do the wrong thing. I need to be able to trust that ultimately they are in His hands because I lack the wisdom I need to be everything that they need. And most importantly, I can't change their stubborn little hearts any more than I can change Mara's. That is the work of the Holy Spirit to make them and form them and draw them to Jesus.



Please join me in praying for this young mom who doesn't even know how deep her own need. And pray for the many like her who I just haven't met yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment