Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Knowing Love

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to not know that you were loved by someone?  Cherished by someone?  Important to someone?  Honestly, I don’t give a lot of thought to it.  I am so very blessed to have people in my life who love and support me, and not only that, but they tell me so I don’t have to guess.  I knew growing up that my parents loved me, but more than that, I was always confident that God loved me and cared deeply about me personally.

Last night I asked one of our regular visitors to the house what was the best thing that had ever happened to him in his life.  He took awhile to think about it, but when he answered, it was emphatic.  “Being here with you guys.”  Being a little taken aback, I tried to make sure that was really the best thing that had ever happened to him by asking more questions, but when I asked why he answered simply and without having to think about it.  “Because you love me.”

Wow.  What does that mean?  Does that mean that maybe he has never known before in his 11 years that he is loved?  It brought me to tears.  Could it be that God would use us to offer love and grace and security to this little boy in a way that he would know from this day on that he is loved.  Not just by us, but also by Jesus.

It was a precious time with him.  I got to share how much Jesus loves children, to the point of correcting his disciples because he wanted to the children to come to Him so He could bless them.  And I got to tell him the story of the shepherd and the lost sheep and that Jesus will always be there for him because he is just as important to the Lord as that one sheep was to the shepherd.

Please pray for this little one to sleep peacefully tonight knowing that He is loved by the one who will never leave him and never let him down.

1 comment: