Saturday, October 4, 2014

Of Course

It is humbling how much I learn from my kids...

Over the past two weeks Nicolle has started a new, and quite lovely, habit.  Every time I ask her to do something she responds with "Of Course!".  Usually I have requested a "Yes mom", but "Of Course" sounds so much better!  I asked her where that came from and why she started saying it and I loved her response.  She told me that when my dad was here in June she remembers that whenever she asked him to do something he would say "sure" and she liked that because it sounded like he really wanted to do it for her.  She wanted to sound the same way, but just decided that she liked "of course" better.  What a dear sentiment.  She wants me to know that not only will she do what I asked, but she really wants to help  me.

So, on the hard lesson.  This week I got stuck in the shower with no towel (that may only happen in our house!) and has to ask her to bring me one.  She responded "of course" and brought me a towel right away with a smile on her face.  Two days later I was so frustrated and on the phone with the airline.  I've called them twice a day all week trying to get our tickets cancelled for next week due to medical reasons and no one seems to be able to help me.  I was so engrossed in the conversation and my own frustration that I barely heard Nicolle yell from the bathroom that she was now stuck in the shower with no towel.  I wish I could say that I excused myself from my conversation long enough to kindly take my daughter a towel, but I didn't, and I was less than gracious to her.  Ugh.  So humbling.

"Of course".  The most convicting words I've heard all week.  I'm thankful that God is giving her such a willing spirit to love and serve others.  I just pray that I can learn to love and serve my children in the same way.



No comments:

Post a Comment