Sunday, May 11, 2014

Generosity

When I was at a Missions Conference in NC I heard Dr. Paul Kooistra speak on giving within the church.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear him speak about tithing not as simply as just giving 10%, but really asking the Lord what He would want you to give.  Usually it is more :)  I have struggled with the idea that it is just strict obedience to give 10% when maybe your heart isn't in it or really feeling prideful when you decide to give more.  So... it really got me thinking, especially about how I would talk with my kids about tithing.

About 3 months ago I challenged Angel, Nicolle, and Dixi that if they could say all the books of the Bible in English, in order, that I would give them $10.  They have listened to the songs over and over again and practiced and practiced and practiced... and last night Angel could finally say them all!  He was so excited and we all celebrated for him!  $10 is a lot for my kids, so we talked about what God wants us to do with our money.

Basically I just said that God wants us to use our money first for him and then for others and then for ourselves.  So each of the kids as they get their money needs to choose a way to give money to God and do something for someone else and then something for themselves.  Angel decided to give some money to the Troxells because they are missionaries.  He decided to give $2.50!  Imagine if I had explained that we only give 10%... and then he decided to take his Uncle Romer out for hamburgers because he does so many nice things for him.  I think he's starting to understand generosity and I love seeing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment