Saturday, August 31, 2013

Grace

It is the kindness of the Lord that leads us to repentence.

Lyssa quoted this verse to me a few weeks ago and it has stayed a constant refrain in my ears ever since.  I am so thankful that the Lord has not treated me as I deserve, but rather, He has loved me, been patient, and overwhelmed me with His kindness.

What does this look like in the midst of working with stubborn teenagers?  Of teaching them how to be moms?  Or parenting my own children?

I want them to get grace, to fully understand it.  I also want them to know that there are consequences for their actions and fist-fights will not be tolerated.  Where is the line?

I have reached a point over the past two weeks where I humbly have to say that I don't know.

Last week as we painted the girls' house, they worked right alongside us painting their easter-egg colored rooms :)  When given a choice they all picked pinks, purples, and greens!  But it turned out pretty.  Anyway, the Lord gave me some really sweet moments to put the paintbrush down and just talk with them.

I think the main thing I kept coming back to with them was that the Lord has been so patient with us and they do not seem to be patient for one another at all.  One wrong move and the other three jump on you.  Everything is taken defensively and they stand posed with hands up ready to throw punches.  They know each other well enough now to hit hard in all the sensitive places of insecurity and doubt to the others.  And its impossible that they all have the last word, but they want to...

Isn't that just like us?  And I include myself in that.  I am much quicker to be defensive then gracious.  I am much quicker to think the worst about someone rather than the best.  And so we just started talking about grace.

God gives us an example of forgiveness when its undeserved, or patience even when its long past time for us to learn.  He sees that we need a Savior and so He came.

Please pray as I try to teach these girls about grace... pray that God will open their ears to hear and their eyes to see His goodness.  Pray that it will change them.

No comments:

Post a Comment