Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sick Days

I'm laying in my bed where I have been ALL DAY long and yet I'm not tired because I'm finally feeling better after a long day of going between nausea, headache and fever.

Sometimes I need a sick day.  I don't really like being sick, hate it in fact.  Lyssa laughed at me when I was relieved to have a fever because it showed I was really sick, not just making it up.  I always just think... tough it out, you don't feel that bad, get over it.  Until I start feeling like I can actually get out of bed and take more than three steps... oh yeah, this is what it feels like to not be sick.  I really did feel bad.

Things have been busy lately, they always are.  We have a full house at PDE, school to teach, Bible studies to do, babies to get to the doctor, forms to sign, lawyers to talk to, money to raise... and the list goes on.  I am still a relatively new mom and wife and trying to figure out how to do those things well while wishing that I could just be home all day with my kiddos and teaching them English at the same time.  We have a sick nephew and I really feel like part of the family for the first time because I can offer childcare and advice and phone calls to check in, I feel needed.  And then there are summer teams and my Honduras team and wanting to support them well and be a part of things there.

And sometimes... something has to give.  Bring on the sick day.  I don't like being sick, but sometimes I need it... and I think God knows that.

Today I did nothing.  I didn't have the energy to open my computer until after 1 in the afternoon and even then I didn't have the brain capacity to do anything worthwhile.

I prayed some, watched TV, spent time being thankful for all the days I'm not sick, and spent time being thankful for my sweet husband who tied up loose ends so I could stay in bed.  And I rested.

I am sorry that sometimes the Lord has to use such drastic measures to make me rest.  I'm sorry that in my personal life with Him sometimes I forget how much I need Him until things are really hard.  And I'm sorry that sometimes I start to think that I am too important and necessary to be able to take a break.  But... what a reminder.  I cannot do all the things on my plate.  But God knew that and still gave them to me.  They are His.  PDE and my children, language learning, summer teams and sickness... He has got it all under control.

Praise the Lord for sick days.


1 comment:

  1. Get better sweet one...I am there with you needing to make sure I am sick sick before wanting to take the time off...God rested, thinking you should too! XO Love you!

    ReplyDelete