Monday, July 15, 2013

Church

I sat in front of her holding her hand in mine.  The church is a place for people who are broken.  We have all been where you are, dead in sin and desperate for freedom.  You are only going to find that freedom in Jesus.  Alcohol is not the problem, sin and being far from God is the problem, but alcohol will never fix it.  Come to church with us.  People there won't judge you, you don't have to be afraid.  Here there is nothing for you but lonliness and more to drink.  Come and hear the Word of God!

I had only just met her moments before, but I was begging her to come with us.  And she was crying... a lot.  She introduced herself and then said to me, I'm an alcoholic, but I want to change.  And she had been drinking.  A lot.

There are days that my husband is my hero and yesterday was one of them.  He loves people well and has a heart for them to know Jesus and the freedom that comes with walking with Christ.  He has a young guy who is doing an apprenticeship under him and we have been praying for him and taking him to church us occasionally.  And praying for his alcoholic mom.  

Yesterday when we went to pick him up, he wasn't there, but Lesther just stayed inside talking to his mom and eventually came out to get me to join him.  It took some time but her son came home and they both got in the car with us to get to church in time for the last half of the service.  Angel looked at me when we singing and said, "mom, did you see her?  she cried all the way here but now she is clapping and singing!"  Yesterday this woman had a taste of freedom.  She smiled and chatted and told us pieces of her life story.  She is desperate for someone to listen to her and cried as she prayed and asked the Lord for freedom.

Please pray for Sonia... pray for us to know how to help her.  Pray for her to know Jesus and for Him to give her freedom from alcohol.  Pray for her heart to be filled with joy and hope!  

No comments:

Post a Comment