Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Intertwined

Sometimes I get frustrated trying to think of to explain life here... family life and ministry life... at times seperate, but oh so intertwined. And I love it that way. I long time ago in a land far away I was in training to prepare me for this new adventure that would be my life in another country and although it was helpful, it didn't even touch what life here would really look like!

But one thing that we talked about sticks out to me... in talking about building friendships and ministering in a new culture it is important to not go in as the one who "knows it all". But humbly, as a learner, elevate those in your new culture, learn from them, show that you respect them because honestly, they know how to live in your new culture better than you do! This is so helpful in forming realationships and allowing you to earn the place to speak deeply into their lives.

Well, I'm not sure they intented for me to be such a learner that even in my own home I would marry a Honduran man and invest so deeply in the culture :) But the truth is that the truthes of that have stuck with me. But I haven't even had to do it on purpose. The girls at PDE are intertwined with us, they are irreversably a part of our lives here, a part of our family here. We spend so much time with us, they teach us things, they are our friends, we love sharing things with them.

A few weeks ago I was pretty sick... and sickness with four children is just not the same as single sickness where getting up once a hour to grab some water was sufficient. Sickness with children is impossible. And it was Thanksgiving and I was in charge of half the meal. Impossible when I could barely stand up. So B came over, cleaned my house, made me food, watched the kids, washed the dishes, helped make all my Thanksgiving foods, spent the night, and spent Thanksgiving with a bunch of gringos after having worked her tail off for 24 hours. And on her thankful link of the chain we were making she wrote... "I'm thankful to be a part of this family." And my eyes filled with tears when I saw it because I could only think... "I'm thankful that you are and for the way you have loved and served us so well." Intertwined.

K came over when we decorated for Christmas. She has been the most sad that we won't be here on Christmas day because she wanted to be able to celebrate with us! But she came over and put up Christmas ornaments and helped with the advent calendar and put up nativity scenes all over the house. And I read Christmas books to Andres and O and we put little tiny stockings on his feet like socks and we laughed and drank hot chocolate and she acted like one of my children. And my kids are the best because their daddy taught them a long time to ago to love anyone who comes into the house like family and they aren't jealous or bitter, they share what they have and they call people their family and they pray before every meal thanking God for whatever people happen to be sitting around the table that day. They always say "Thank you for Kenia that she is here." Whoever it happens to be that day...

K is teaching my kids to make corn tortillas, C fixes Nicolle's school uniform when the skirt is too long or the pants get a hole, J calls Lesther papi, they spend time at our house and have made their way into our hearts. Intertwined. And forever a part of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment