Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Faithfulness in the mundane

My story is not incredible.  In fact, some days I feel like it is downright mundane.  Today I drove all over La Ceiba, about 8 times.  Errands and bills and the courthouse and people and cars and dresses and so much more.  And yet, as mundane as the daily to-do list can be, it got me thinking.  First of all, about me and how much God has grown and changed me in the last year and a half.  I had no idea that becoming a missionary would mean that I would become so many other things.  I have become a mama bear that is fierce for her cubs.  I love them dearly and want to protect and shelter them while at the same time preparing them before I throw them out into the real world.  While an actual mom gets about 18 years of this living with her kids under her own roof, I will get about 3 living 10 minutes away.  Sheesh.  I have become a money tree making almost daily trips to the cash machine at certain times of the month to pay rent and utilities on my own house, the girls house, and the store.  And then there is pay for all the employees and of course food money and doctors visits and graduation dresses.  In the mix something had to get forgotten and this month is was rent on PDE.  After having paid 6 months up front I had no idea I owed again this month, so its back to the bank for rent and the late fee.  And there is the whole store thing, yep we started one and I still have not the foggiest idea how to run it.  Whoops.  But we’re making money, praise Jesus.  And then there is prayer warrior.  I’ve realized how really very little I have to do with God making these girls into who He wants them to be.  I get to walk beside them and hold them up for a time and I pray that they will know in a deep way the God who walks with them for the rest of their lives through every step. 

And then I also got to thinking about all the little things, all the mundane tasks.  And I realized they have so much significance.  Getting Y’s dress measurements today was just another thing on the to do list, but to her it means the promise of graduation and a future and a job that supports her daughter.  And fighting with the electric company about the bill while having to double park my car and living in fear that someone would hit it seemed like an awfully big inconvenience.  But, these girls have experienced life in a shack with no power or running water and fighting with the power company is worth it to give them that small luxury.  Making copies and planning for my trip home is overwhelming at best, and yet when I think about how many girls and babies lives will be affected by the money that I will hopefully raise with these resources, I get a new perspective.    And my now familiarity with the courthouse and those who work there is definitely unexpected, but today it meant that a social worker took 2 hours to talk to G and try to understand her and where she is coming from.  And that she is worried for the little kids in the family and wants to work to help them.  Yep… these things today meant “wasted” gasoline and retracing my steps a hundred times, nothing seemed to need to be done at the same time in the same place.  But everything is worth it.  It’s faithfulness in the mundane with an eternal perspective… that’s what God asks of us, every day, be faithful.

1 comment: