Friday, November 13, 2009

Parenting Pamphlet

Also... at risk of being overwhelming by writing two posts right in a row... I'm doing it anyway.

Yesterday I started the ever humbling process of actual putting into action something I've said for awhile that I was going to do. I started writing a book. So far it's 3 paragraphs. I might be finished. :) I really don't like writing all that much... this may be more of a pamphlet than a book when all is said and done. And really it's meant not for general perusal, more as a personal memory trigger since my memory lasts approximately 3 days.

Anyway... the point is that I don't want to forget the many things I've learned about both being a teenager and parenting teenagers over the last 5 years. I think that being in my role as a youth leader, the Lord has allowed me insight into what parenting really is... ultimate discipleship. It is hard and challenging and totally worth it. So, there is a lot I want to remember.

To that end, I had some girls write down things from a teenagers point of view... things they're parents have done well, not so well, things they wish they had done, things they want to do when they are parents, things I should do as a parent, etc. It's been really helpful, and I would love more insight. So... if you're a teenager reading this... give me feedback... my future children (Lord-willing) will thank you. If you're a parent reading this... please give me feedback... your wisdom and experience is priceless. If you've ever been a teenager or had a parent... that should be everyone... let me know some thoughts :) It's a lot for a blog comment, so you can email me if you want... ssinnes@gmail.com.

Thanks for your contribution to my parenting pamphlet :) Maybe one day I'll have reason to use it!

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, that's a book I would like to read! I'll think about this. I'll try to write you something at some point. I'm not sure what I would say. I'd like to think about it, so thanks for the encouragement to do so.

    ReplyDelete