Friday, January 17, 2014

American Dream

Was it the promise of the American dream?

Was it the inability to let go of a man who is the father of your baby?

Was it a drive for adventure?

I couldn't say.  But I'm worried for her and about her.

Last week B started talking about going to the states.  She has talked about it for awhile, always as a pipe dream.  Or joking around with me... "when are you going to take me to the states?  put me in your suitcase!"  But she is exceptionally hard to read and this time I just couldn't decide if she was really serious... but it seemed like maybe she was this time.

Maybe I could have brought her to my house and locked the door and forced her not to go.  She's 25, an adult.  She has heard the Gospel plenty of times and knows all the right answers.  She is motivated and a good mom to her daughter.  I can't live her life for her, but I can challenge her on things... and pray.

We talked in circles.  We talked about what God wants for her life.  We talked about how God is providing for her by having her in Puerta de Esperanza and that this kind of education is more important than money.  We talked about trusting God and respecting the government.  We talked about danger along the way and cost of living in the US.  We exhausted every topic we could think of.  But when her mind is set, she hears nothing... she just nodded and laughed.

She doesn't have a plan, well, not a good one.  She didn't take much money.  Maybe we will see her again soon.  Or maybe she'll call.

So yesterday afternoon the father of her baby came by and they left.  Just like that.  Until she actually walked out the door nobody believed she was really leaving.  It just doesn't make sense.  But she is gone.  She left all her stuff, her clothes, the baby's things, and just left.

I definitely didn't write this into my ministry plan.  But God knew.  He always knew this would happen and he still brought her to us.  He knew she needed the time she had with us and I trust that He is going to continue to use it and remind her of the truths she has learned.

Please pray... for safety, for her to trust the Lord more than what she wants, for her boyfriend to come to know the Lord.  Oh... and so many other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment