Thursday, November 12, 2015

Never say I can't... always say I'll try

When I was a kid I went to these basketball camps with a group called Networks.  Well, more than just went :)  I coached for them for a little while and spent my high school summers getting up super early to go work out and train for two hours before starting my day.  But at Networks there were some rules they made the kids say at camp before getting started.  One of them was this...

Never say "I can't" always say "I'll try"

I've known Y for almost four years now and she is one of the most Eeyore-like personalities.  She is always down on herself and convinced that she isn't able to do things she wants to do.  The words "I can't" have been a constant coming out of her mouth.  The last four years have been full of encouragement and gentle and not so gentle pushes from myself and the house moms to TRY!  And she has been really successful.

The other night I was at her house while she was helping her daughter with homework and J's refrain was the same.  "I can't"  She was supposed to be writing upper and lowercase As in her handwriting book and it was just hard for her.  But I LOVED Y's response.  "No J, remember what I told you.  We erased I can't from our vocabulary. You can do it.  I'll help you.  We'll do it together.  Let's try it.  Great job!"

Wow... where did she come from?

She told me later that she is committed to seeing her daughter not have the same self-esteem struggles that she has had and she knows that it starts with encouraging her to try and see herself be successful.

God is changing generations..... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment